When we were preparing to leave the States, we bought a large Samsonite duffel style roller bag. The thought was that it would be big enough to hold both of our things along with a carry-on each.
It did...but that was the problem.
The suitcase was so large that when fully packed, it more often than not exceeded the airline’s weight restrictions. And, it was extremely heavy and bulky to lug long distances and over varied terrain.
So, we began the search for the perfect suitcase. We were pleased with the one carry-on we already had, a 10 year-old Jansport that was soft sided and lightweight. It held a s**t ton of stuff but was still carry-on sized and could be carried over the shoulder or as a backpack. This bag, which is no longer available, taught us what to look for in a new suitcase.
After reviewing several brands and models, we landed on the Eagle Creek Load Hauler Expandable. Eagle Creek suitcases receive great reviews from frequent and long-term travelers. Their stuff is awesome quality and designed with a lot of thoughtful details.
The model we chose has several features we wanted:
- Carry on sized at 22” (56 cm)
- Soft sided without wheels (the addition of wheels not only adds weight, but decreases the volume as well)
- Capacity of 3475 cu in (57 L) when expanded, which is a full 33% more than most other bags we found
- Lightweight at 1 lb 13 oz (.83 kg), which is less than half of most others bags, especially those with wheels!
- It can be carried multiple ways, with the grip handles, the shoulder strap or as a backpack
Now, because the bag doesn’t have built-in wheels, we opted to get a luggage cart to go with it. We chose the Samsonite Compact Folding Luggage Cart for its durability and compact size when folded down.
Samsonite Luggage Compact Folding Cart, Black, One Size
The two together give us a huge amount of flexibility for when we’re moving to a new city or country, or just taking off for a weekend.
Have a favorite bag? Tell us all about it!